Saturday 29 October 2011

Curly Cucumbers

The first of my cucumbers for the season
As this photograph isn't 3D it is hard to see the curl that my first cucumber of the season has at the moment. It is slightly shorter than my little finger, rather plump and well hidden under it's leaves. I only found it when I was being unbelievably hopeful and lifted the leaves to see where the flower that I knew was there yesterday had gone.....it had turned into a fruit.

Something that I didn't know about cucumbers until I grew them for the first time last season is that they have a prickly outer skin when they are young.

I can't wait until our cucumbers are ripe for the picking, you just can't describe that fresh, sweet smell that comes from freshly picked cucumbers straight from the garden, and the crunch, mmmm mmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment