Wednesday 7 December 2011

Mother Nature is Confusing my Chickens

Curious Fry-I'll admit it, I've had her since she was 2 days old and she is my favourite, Baxter's too.
You may recall from previous posts that the girls were laying up to five eggs a day between the three of them only weeks ago, but that has all turned around now. With the sudden hit of Winter weather during what is meant to be the beginning of Summer the girls are confused, and I haven't seen a single egg for days. This is unheard of! To make matters worse poor Bernie has gone broodie and is sitting in the nesting box without a single egg under her. I've had to push her off, pick her up and throw her out of the coop to eat and drink a few times in the last few days.

I tried explaining the 'birds and the bees' to Bernie, but she just doesn't understand that she needs a rooster to have her own little chicks...silly choock. Maybe the bees bit was too far out of left field for her bird brain. In an ideal situation I'd get Bernie some fertilised eggs to sit on and hatch so she could satisfy her maternal instinct, but I can't risk getting roosters-again.

Silly Bernie-as you can see, she doesn't have a lot going for her, poor girl.

I'm crossing my fingers that Mother Nature will get off this bender that she is on very soon, bring summer back and encourage the girls to lay eggs again, as the need to buy eggs is starting to play on my mind.

Fry keeping a close eye on the unusual, rarely seen creature near her run...that would be Mark.


No comments:

Post a Comment